Monday 22 April 2019

Maximizing your Intellectual Assets

























Jane Lambert

Intellectual assets are creations of the mind that give one business a competitive edge over others.  They include brands, designs, technology and creativity.  They are assets because they generate or safeguard revenue.  The laws that protect them are known collectively as intellectual property ("IP").

You probably have a business plan but how well (if at all) does it take account of IP?  If it doesn't then it should for the reasons I set out in Why Every Business Plan should take Account of IP 3 April 2016 NIPC News.  It can make all the difference between the success or failure of your business venture but it is not easy to do because "not every accountant or solicitor is IP savvy and certainly not every business adviser."

In that article, I said that I would be giving talks around the United Kingdom on IP and business planning.   As part of Wales's celebrations of World Intellectual Property Day, I shall be talking about that subject at the M-SParc (Menai Science Park) at Gaerwen on Anglesey between 13:00 and 14:00 on Friday, 26 April 2019 and I have gathered a team of experts on innovation and IP tax incentives to join me.

 I shall discuss the available legal protection - copyrights, design registration, patents, trade marks, trade secrets, unregistered design rights and so on - how you can obtain those rights and other things.   Huw Watkins of BIC Innovation will talk about ways his company can help you develop and distribute your new products and services.   Steve Livingston of IP Tax Solutions can advise you of the tax incentives and other opportunities available to you.  These are three short complimentary presentations that will not be available anywhere else.

This is one seminar you should really try to attend.  You can register for the event through Eventbrite.  If you really can't make it on the 26 April 2019, call me on 020 7404 5252 or contact me through my contact page and I will email my handout.  I am also happy to talk about this article and any other IP matter you may want to discuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is moderated, If you want to comment, please do so here.