M-SParc (the Menai Science Park) has a mission is to promote science and technology throughout Wales and not just in Anglesey. According to its press release, M-SParc takes Tech on Tour by Launching New Colwyn Bay Location personnel from the science park engaged with nearly 700 local residents on visits to Bethesda and Botwnnog before lockdown. Those visits have now resumed and M-SParc's latest port of call is Colwyn Bay where it has established a temporary base at 29 Conway Road.
Like many seaside resorts, Colwyn Bay flourished in the 19th and early 20th centuries. Since the middle of the last century, it has lost holidaymakers to sunnier destinations. Dwindling numbers of visitors discouraged investment in tourism and hospitality. The pier closed in 2009 because it had been allowed to fall into disrepair though it should be remembered that some new attractions have opened such as the Welsh Mountain Zoo and the Colwyn Leisure Centre in Eirias Park.
Though such developments are welcome it makes sense for Colwyn Bay to broaden its economic base with new businesses in the high tech and creative industries. To encourage the formation, establishment and growth of such businesses, M-SParc will offer at Conway Road all the activities that take place in Gaerwen including Ffiws Maker Space, hot desks, co-working space, business, design, technology and innovation workshops and seminars, as well as science and technology sessions for young people.
The following events take place at 29 Conway Road on the dates and at the times indicated:
- 7 Sept 2021 17:00 - 20:00 Noson Gofod Gwneud - Makerspace Evening
- 21 Sept 2021 19:00 - 20:00 Arwyr Lleol Sgwrs Tech - Local Heroes of Tech Talk
- 23 Sept 2021 13:00 - 13:45 Trefi SMART Towns
- 23 Sept 2021 18:30 - 19:30 Gweithdu FreeCAD Workshop
- 28 Sept 2021 18:00 -19:00 Technocamps - Sesiwn ddigidol i blant / A digital session for children, and
- 29 Sept 2021 16:00 - 17:00 Clwb Sparci - Sbarduno Science Session